Spring is here. We’re grateful for the real, actual springtime conditions we’ve had this year – “April showers, bring May flowers”, right? We just been basking in days in the 60s and 70s and nights in the 40s and 50s. The lettuce is lovin’ life.
With the seasons changing, Ben has decided to get creative with the slivers of outdoor space that remain unoccupied on our tiny homestead farm. Recently inspired by a visit to a pick-your-own vertical hydroponic strawberry farm with Grandma, we decided to make our own soil-based version, and start growing up.
Ben came up with a very economical design for us to try out our own strawberry towers!
And here’s some photos of how we did it…
First, Ben ordered 2 gallon fiber pots, and got a 1.5″ hole saw.
Then, he drilled 4 holes, each 1/4 turn around the pot, and a hole in the bottom at the center. The pots already have the 3 small drainage holes you see around the circumference of the base.
We wanted to make 8 towers, each 5 pots high so we drilled 40 pots. They come in cases for about $2 each.
Then Ben mixed up the soil and compost, and threw in some of our worm castings. We got this stuff at the awesome farm where I work, Greensgrow Farms.
And we started filling pots! Ben is using a PVC pipe for support, so we slid each pot over the pipe and filled it with our growing mix.
This tower will eventually be on our grass, and the bottom foot of pipe will be hammered about a foot into the ground as a stake for the unit. Straps and stakes could be used for extra support.
They look great! We ran some drip irrigation lines from pot to pot by topping each PVC support with a PVC tee-shaped piece, and tracked the irrigation lines through the tees, with drip heads coming down from the main line and staked into each unit’s top pot. We gotta make sure these babies stay hydrated.
Ben planted 60 Seascape strawberry plants, which we got from Johnny’s Selected Seeds as bare roots. I promise I’ll post a picture soon so come visit us again next week!